In 1671 Duclos the chemist carried out the first analyses of the water. At the end of the 17th century, the springs spurted already with a particular noise which won them the name of "Gargouilloux" Gurgling waters. Although already famous in the 18th century, the Spa of Châtel-Guyon became really fashionable only in the 19th century.
In 1817 the council had a first very basic installation built. Camille Bosson, whose family had obtained the concession of the waters, built the first installation worthy of the name in 1858.
The creation of the railway in Riom in 1855 was a turning point in the development of the spa. In 1878, the Châtel-Guyon Waters Company, bought the Brosson and the Barse installations, and started major urban planning, in particular the realization of the avenue des Bains (today avenue Baraduc) and the construction of the new Great Spa Establisments.
In 1912, Châtel-Guyon was declared a spa and had its own major railway station built. At the beginning of the 20th century, there were 28 spa springs. Some of them, the Deval, Germaine, Louise, Marguerite and Yvonne springs supplied the fountains of the thermal park, others the Great Water-Cure Establishments, the Henry spring supplied the establishments of the same name, built from 1882 to 1888, and destroyed in 1982 to be replaced by the present more modern establishment, at last the water of the Gubler spring was bottled to be sold by shipping.
CHATEL-GUYON'S KEY DATES
1878 Creation of the Waters Company
1881 Building of the first luxury hotel, The Splendid Hôtel
1888 Guy de Maupassant's 1st spa therapy (1887 publication of Mont Oriol, a story about the creation of a thermal spa, 1888 Building of the first Henry Establishment (extended in 1902)
1908 Inauguration of the Great Spa Establishments
1912 Inauguration of the Châtel-Guyon railway station
1912 The town is listed as a spa
1930 Construction of the town's last luxury hotel: The Grand Hôtel